On the tenth of every month, Shimelle Laine invites bloggers to share ten things. Doesn't matter the topic, as long as it's ten things. This month, here are my 10 favorite ways to celebrate fall.
1. Drinking pumpkin spice lattes. There is a reason everyone in my Facebook newsfeed is talking about them; they really are that good. They came to the Starbucks in my area on September 1st, and I've already enjoyed a pumpkin spice latte twice. A tip for those of you who don't like super sweet drinks. I order my grande PSL non-fat, no whip, 2 pump. Using skim milk and having less syrup helps the drink still taste more like coffee without overdosing on sweetness.
2. Baking... especially if it includes pumpkin. I absolutely love pumpkin paired with warm fall spices. These pumpkin scones with cinnamon ginger glaze are a favorite. Pumpkin ginger buttermilk bundt cake has been known to appear at Thanksgiving. And I prefer my pumpkin brownies with a cream cheese swirl over the traditional chocolate.
3. Taking a fall color walk. Every year since we started dating, Steve and I have a tradition to hike up Holy Hill to see the leaves turning colors.
4. Having crockpot chili for days and days. We've tweaked over the years until reaching a great recipe that's complex and spicy. It includes a fresh jalapeno from our garden, beer and bacon.
5. Lighting pumpkin and fall-scented candles. I love when it's finally cool enough to light candles. I don't like when candles are too syrupy-sweet, so for me Leaves and Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin from Bath & Body Works are perfection.
6. Hitting the roadside farmer's stand for apples and fresh cider. Nothing you can buy at the grocery store compares to an ice-cold glass of fresh local apple cider.
7. Having cool-weather bonfires with s'mores. I used to only associate bonfires with the summer, but I think my favorite are actually in the fall when you can cozy up to the fire for warmth. Plus s'mores?! Perfection.
8. Wearing scarves and knee-high leather boots. I'm over my maxi dresses and am ready to pull on my boots!
9. Making crockpot caramel for apples. It's soo easy and addictive. Just unwrap and throw into your crockpot a 14 ounce package of caramels (such as Brach's). Add 2/3 cup heavy cream, set to low, cover and let the caramels melt for about an hour. Then add 1/2 cup mini marshmallows and 3 teaspoons rum. Stir well, cover, and let melt for another 30 minutes. I love to drizzle this onto sliced apples... or eat by the spoonful!
10. Dressing up for Halloween. For the last five years we've gone to a costume party for Halloween, and have done a group costume with the same friends. Any guesses what we're going as this year?
You can visit more bloggers sharing their ten things by clicking here.