Halloween may be behind us now, but I'm not giving up my pumpkin love until at least Thanksgiving! In October, we baked pumpkin with chocolate and with raisins. This weekend, we tried pumpkin and cranberry!
Cranberry reminds me of Thanksgiving, which makes these bars a hearty treat that feels perfect for chilly November weekends. These bars get their complex flavor from pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, and sweet yet tart cranberries.
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/3 cup buttermilk
1-1/4 cups flour
1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and then lightly dust with flour.
3. In a large bowl, cream brown sugar and butter with mixer.
3. Beat in egg, egg white, pumpkin, and buttermilk.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, oats, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
5. Stir dry mixture into pumpkin mixture until combined and moistened.
6. Stir in cranberries and gently mix.
7. Spread batter into pan.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
9. Once done, remove from oven and let cool before cutting.